The story of this game should have been another ball smokin performance from Freeway Rick and timely hitting but there is more to the story.
Freeway Rick was cruising along. He pitched six complete, allowed one run on five hits, he struck out two and walked none.
In fact, the entire Tigers staff didn’t walk a batter.
The first part to the story is why Ricky was pulled after six innings. He had only thrown 83 pitches so I was rather surprised that he didn’t come out for the seventh. I hope there’s not something wrong.
The secondary story of the game was Torii Hunter getting drilled in the ribs in the eighth by that sawed off little jerk, Bud Norris, after Kinsler took him deep for a two run homer to extend the Tigers lead to 4-1. The benches emptied but there was no punches thrown. Norris was tossed but seemed to keep jawing at Hunter even after he was in the dugout. I’m not sure if there is any history between the two but someone on the O’s has to get it tomorrow.
- This was a nice bounce back win for the Tigers after blowing a three run lead yesterday.
- Freeway Rick improved to 6-0.
- While not dynamic, the offense got the job done.
- Tigers pitchers did not walk a batter.
- The Amazing Al, pitching in his fourth consecutive game was smokin balls. He pitched a complete inning and struck out two.
- Joe Nathan recorded his eighth save on only six pitches.
- The Orioles scored their run in the bottom of the first on a ball that looked like Rajai Davis should have caught.
- Other than the play by Davis in the first and Romine’s error in the second, nothing too egregious today.
Smyly pitches tomorrow and somebody on the Orioles has to answer for Hunter.
Remember when Freeway Ricky beat Youk into a conniption?
“God I love baseball.” Roy Hobbs | The Natural
2 thoughts on “Tigers 4 Orioles 1”
Well i think we can beat the Cleveland Indians tomorrow. I hope after 2 days out of 162 Rajai is not too human. My bartender reminded me @ 2pm that we had the best record in the league and up by 5 games. If you don’t like Romine well A Gonzalez is still on the all star ballot (really)! And I think we are going to have fun watching Amazing Al!
RP had some minor tightness in his side. They took him out as a precaution, but doesn’t sound too serious. He has now beat the O’s twice this season and is rounding into a potential all-star this season… Yea Rajai is not having a good week.. This was a good bounce-back win and they seem to be playing better on the road this year. Hope it continues.