The Tigers survived another miserable performance from Ian Krol to take the first of a nine game road trip.
Despite Krol giving up four runs in 2/3 of an inning, the eighth, the Tigers beat the Indians 6-4.
I was at a restaurant, celebrating my birthday, so I was watching the game with the sound turned off. There are a few things that I wished I had an explanation for.
First, why was Don Kelly trying to steal third base in the third inning? Was this some kind of missed hit and run? He led off the inning with a double.
I’m a DK fan but WTF?
Second, why did Ian Krol come in to pitch the eighth inning?
Third, why did Ausmus leave Krol in after he gave up back to back singles to lead off the inning?
Fourth, why did Ausmus leave Krol in after Cabrera hit a three run homer?
Fifth, why did Ausmus leave Krol in after Santana cut the lead to one run?
Ausmus is beginning to worry me. While Krol threw batting practice to the Indians, Ausmus had the deer in the headlights look?
Didn’t he go to Dartmouth?
On the bright side:
- The Tigers have won back to back games.
- Freeway Rick was great for six innings. I would have liked to get at least seven out of him but you can’t complain about six scoreless innings.
- Victor and J.D. Martinez continue to get it done and carry this team offensively. I’m not sure how long the ride is going to last with J.D. but I hope the Tigers ride it for as long as they can.
- Miggy FLASHED LEATHER in the sixth, he started and finished, a 3-6-3 double play. The finish was sweet. He dove for the ball but kept his foot on the bag just long enough to get Asdrubal Cabrera called out at first.
- The Amazing Al pitched a clean seventh.
- Joe Nathan got his second save in a as many games by pitching a scoreless ninth.
One more thing, at the beginning of the season, I was on the DD band wagon proclaiming his genius. I should have listened to my gut, my first reaction. Dave Dombrowski traded Doug Fister for three humpty dumpties. We’re reminded of this every time Ian Krol takes the mound.
The Tigers, for the second game in a row, were able to win in spite of themselves.
I hope the ship has turned in the right direction.
“God I love baseball.” Roy Hobbs | The Natural
2 thoughts on “Whew!”
We won today because recently crowned Tiger killer Michael Brantley wasn’t in the starting lineup, and designated Tiger killer David Murphy was shutout.. To answer your questions would be impossible because there are no right answers. The bigger question was why RP was pulled after 6 and only 100 pitches? This was by far his best outing in some time and he was dealing against a LH dominant lineup… I was hoping Ausmus would bring a little new school managing and forget the righty-lefty pitching matchups.. That was his only reasoning for bringing in Krol, and for leaving him in too long…guess Lamont is really calling the shots.. Does anyone dare watch JV tomorrow?
Sark, thinking the same thing about JV. I feel like he’s the Tigers fifth starter and don’t expect much from him. WOW! Has he fallen.